Static Website and Dynamic Website
Basically, there are two main types of websites, Static website and Dynamic Website.
A static website is a type of a website that is generally written in the plain HTML and what is displayed to the user is what actually is existing in the code page.
Talking about the dynamic website, it is made using the server-side scripting language like PHP,JSP, ASP or Coldfusion. The content is called by the scripting language from another file in this kind of websites.
Let’s have a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of both Static and Dynamic websites.
Advantages of Static Websites
The best thing about a static website is flexibility. Every page can be customized and different if we desire. In order to match the layout to another content, the web designer is free to place any special effects that his/her client may desire.
- Fast Speed- when anyone visits your pages, all of the web servers has to do is return a file. There is no server-side code executed. Whereas the dynamic sites, the more processing time is required in order to deliver the HTML pages.
- More secure- AS there is no server back-end server-side processing, the surface area to attack is exceedingly less and there will be no database available to be compromised.
- Backup editorial history- You get to witness all of the changes that has been made to the website such as who changed what type of content as well as the time.
Advantages of Dynamic Websites
The major advantage for having the dynamic website is connecting them to the databases. You can pull in information in a structured and organized manner to create the pages or categories of relevant products sorted in the manner of different ways which totally depends on how a user wished to view them.
- More flexible- You get the entire control of the wheel to develop or create whatever interactive feature you want while developing your dynamic website.
- Easy to make changes- One of the most significant advantages for having a dynamic website is that changes and several changes can be made with ease. You don’t need an expert to perform such activities. A single change in the file of templates can result in an entire design change in all of the ages with that specific file and that’s what makes it better than a static website.
- Fast and Smooth Navigation- You will be able to witness a smooth experience while navigating through pages. It lets the visitors of your website to jump from one page to another rapidly with the ease.
- Update the content with ease- You will be able to make changes easily when using the content management system web interface. For example, you will be able to add the blog posts instantly with the help of your phone. If we compare the same to the static website, it will be pretty much complicated to the people who are non-tech savvy.
Now coming to the disadvantages of both static and dynamic website, you will realize they both have their own perks and drawbacks. But don’t let it complicate the things for you in deciding what type of website is better. Both of the websites work fine, it depends on what type of website you desire, whether it is an e-commerce website, Blog website or anything. Now let’s head over to the disadvantages of both types of websites.
Disadvantages of Static Websites
Not a better option for the long run- If you own a business, a static website is not recommended. Being a business, you need to make changes and updates about your products and services more often. In order to make the changes, you have to head over to every file of the page again and again, which consumes plenty of resources. It can be exceedingly time-consuming.
Complicated to change- One of the most significant disadvantages for having the dynamic website is that the content of website takes dozens of time to change. As mentioned earlier, it is time-consuming. Any novice cannot update or change the content. It takes an expert to perform changes into the website as compared to the static website we can make updates and changes by ourselves. But most of the times, we need to take help from the developers in order to perform changes and several activities to the website.
Limited Functions- As compared to the static website, it does not provide all of the functionalities. You can add the content in the website such as text, images, videos and hyperlinks. Other than that you don’t get any special functions to perform.
Disadvantages of Dynamic Website
Slow Processing- The processing time of dynamic websites becomes slower when you have a number of functions to perform.
Higher Cost- Dynamic websites can be exorbitant sometimes, you may have to spend a lot of money in the design, development and even the cost of hosting exceedingly high. But, once you entirely develop the website, you won’t have to pay any additional cost.
Complex- There are so many factors and steps involved in the making of the website, the set up takes plenty of time and sometimes it can be difficult to manage.